Like any other product, washable matt paint differs in pricing, quality, ease of use, and other characteristics.
With all these factors to consider, choosing the best option for your needs and budget can be tough when you add “white” to the already long list of selection criteria. Lucky for you, I’ve done all the heavy lifting on your behalf.
The best washable matt white paint is Microblend Interior Paint and Primer. It offers a professional-looking, matt finish, hides underlying imperfections, and allows you to easily wipe off scuffs or dirt without damaging the painted surface.
Read on for details on why Microblend stands out from the competition and a merit-based review of other well-regarded washable matt white paints to consider.
Microblend Interior Paint and Primer
The best overall washable matt white paint is Microblend Paint and Primer because you don’t need to be a paint application expert to achieve a professional-looking finish.
The paint is thick and can hide underlying imperfections well. It also adheres to the wall smoothly and dries evenly with a beautiful matt finish.
This paint is ideal for rooms that receive a lot of sun as it contains UV blockers that protect the bright white color from yellowing after a year or two. You can also apply it over dark paint without needing a primer. (source: Brenntag)
This stain and water-resistant paint is also less likely to look grubby. If it does, you can simply wipe it down.
- Cost-effective. This paint offers fantastic value for money at less than $20 for one quart (0.95 liters).
- Contains UV blockers. Some white paint can lose its brightness and yellow after sunlight exposure. That’s not the case with this paint, as it has UV blockers.
- Easy application. This paint is thick but has a smooth consistency, a combination that makes application easy.
- Only suitable for walls. If you have leftover paint, you can’t use it for other, smaller items 一 it’s only suitable for wall painting.
Best for Messy Kids and Pets
KILZ TRIBUTE Matte Sheen
If you have kids and pets, you already know that stains, scuffs, and marks can appear on your walls, seemingly out of nowhere. Using washable paint for walls, doors, or furniture can save you time and effort as you can easily wipe dirt and grime off it.
KILZ TRIBUTE Matte Sheen paint comes in a beautiful bright white color to help make your indoor space look fresh and clean. You also don’t need to bother with a primer coat because this is an all-in-one product. (source: dengarden)
If you are concerned about your kids breathing in toxic paint fumes, this paint is an excellent choice, as it is a low-VOC variety. (source: chemoxy)
This means that, unlike traditional paint, you have a decreased risk of breathing in harmful and potentially cancer-causing chemicals, such as:
- Inorganic lead
- Scrubbable and washable. Simply wipe down your painted surface weekly; it will look as good as new.
- Durable. After applying one or two coats, your walls are good to go for several years, and the white color will remain vivid.
- You need to apply it carefully. This is thick paint and can easily streak or dry unevenly if you don’t apply it carefully.
Best for Walls
Rust-Oleum Simply Home Paint
White is a great color for walls because it never goes out of style and pairs well with most furniture and home decor. If you hate painting your walls and are looking for something that will last for at least a decade, consider Rust-Oleum Simply Home Paint.
This white paint dries matt, is thick, and provides excellent coverage for hiding wall imperfections, such as:
- Holes left by nails.
- Glue and other residues.
- Previous uneven paint layers.
If your walls are currently a light color, you only need to apply one layer without worrying about a primer. And since it also works on metal and wood, you can use any leftover paint to touch up tired-looking items in your home.
- Hides imperfections effectively. Depending on how severe the imperfection is, you might not need to treat or remove it before painting.
- Beautiful matt finish. Although the paint dries into a matt finish, it contains latex, making it easy to clean or wipe.
- The lid is prone to leaking. Ensure that you store this paint upright, as previous users have reported that the lid sometimes leaks.
Best for Furniture
Miss Mustard Seed’s Washable Topcoat
Do you like the shabby chic or chalk paint finish on furniture? If so, consider Miss Mustard Seed’s Washable Topcoat. After priming and painting your furniture white, this topcoat seals the underlying layers and dries matt for a chalky-looking finish that won’t flake or chip.
It is durable and can withstand high traffic, making it ideal for dining furniture. Any spilled drinks or food can be easily wiped with paper towels without damaging the paint. Its excellent water resistance means that you can also use it for your bathroom cabinets.
It makes a great topcoat for a child’s white art table or drawing desk as you can wipe or rub off paint or crayon marks.
- Fantastic paint for dining room or kitchen furniture. This paint is hardwearing, water and dirt-resistant, making it an excellent choice for furniture you use often.
- Excellent protective topcoat. As a tough topcoat, this product prevents chipping or flaking and seals in the underlying paint layers well.
- Need a primer and another layer underneath. This is not an all-in-one product 一 it’s a topcoat only.
- Cannot use it over black paint. If you apply this topcoat over black or very dark paint, it will look streaky.
Rust-Oleum 302591 Chalked Spray Paint
Being on a budget doesn’t mean you can’t give worn-out-looking furniture a new lease on life. Rust-Oleum Chalked Spray Paint proves this with pricing of less than $10 for a 12-oz (.35-liter) can. Since it’s a spray can, you also save money by not having to buy painting accessories, such as brushes or trays.
This paint dries into a solid, chalky finish that looks timeless with a hint of vintage. It will fit in well with contemporary or classic home decor styles. (source: MyDomaine)
You can use this spray paint on a wide range of surfaces, such as:
- Washable and stain-resistant. Any dirt, stains, or spills can be easily wiped off without affecting the paint’s integrity.
- Affordable. This product comes in conveniently-sized cans, so you don’t waste paint.
- Easy application. All you need to do is shake the can, spray it onto the surface, and wait a few minutes for it to dry.
- You’ll need several cans for a large surface. This product might be unsuitable if you have a large object to paint because you’ll need several cans.
Now that you’ve read the reviews on the best washable matt white paints, I hope you can choose one that’s best suited for your needs!